PREPARATION TIPS FOR IN-PERSON INTERVIEWS
Throughout your career, you will more than likely need to prepare for many job interviews. Every interview will be different because every job and every interviewer is different. Here are a few tips from our Talent Managers to guide you on the path to in-person interview success.
Firstly, your attitude strongly contributes to the interviewer’s opinion of you, so have the right one! Be confident and enthusiastic, treat everyone you meet with courtesy and show competence. Keep calm, have an open mind… and hopefully the job will be yours.
- Dress professionally and appropriately.
- Arrive well on time. Have a contact number in case a dire emergency prevents this.
- Try to determine the format of the interview in advance in case there are tests, tours or other unusual elements.
- A respectful greeting and good eye contact are very important.
- Sit in an upright but relaxed position. Maintain a calm and confident demeanour.
- Let the interviewer lead the interview. Listen carefully to understand the meaning and scope of each question.
- Be factual and positive when describing your experience and skills. Use power words but don’t brag or be self-effacing.
- If more than one person is interviewing you, direct your answers to all those present.
- Prepare some intelligent and relevant questions to ask the interviewer about the company.
- Be flexible and prepared to consider all reasonable job offers.
- Don’t criticise yourself or past employers.
- Don’t interrupt the interviewer.
- Don’t answer a question with another question.
- Don’t appear nervous by fidgeting or jiggling.
- Don’t ask a lot of questions about salary and benefits.
Anticipation, preparation and confidence are the key skills you should take to an interview. Remember the 3 P’s… Prepare – Practise – Perform!
At GAP Talent, our friendly Talent Managers are here to guide you through every step of your career journey.