Time to Travel: Repatriation Flights
Not sure of your flight options or requirements for repatriation flights and what to do to make the move to start your new position? There are options available and we cover the info you need to get going.
Procedures for Leaving South Africa
Health questionnaire to be completed:
Approval from the d to depart South Africa
Some airlines will apply for the DHA approval on your behalf.
The Department of Home Affairs in South Africa has approved essential travel for South Africans who want to return to countries where they are based. They will be allowed to depart for any of the following reasons; Work, Study, Family Reunion, to take up permanent residency and to receive medical attention.
South Africans wanting to return to the UK for any of the above reasons need to submit an email to email@example.com with the following information:
- A copy of their valid South African passport
- A letter confirming their admissibility under the current circumstances from the embassy or other diplomatic/consular representative of the country they want to travel to. If returning by road or connecting via flights, the proof submitted needs to include permission from each transiting country.
- Proof (details) of means of travel such as provisional airline booking, and the intended date of departure.
NB: Please indicate your surname, intended date of travel and mode of travel (air (provisional flight details, land (country and port of entry) or maritime port) in the subject of your email.
How do I receive approval:
An email will be sent to to you to proceed with your travel arrangements. Persons applying as a group can send one email with the supporting documents for each member of the group.
Allow at least five working days for processing of your request. If your date is earlier, the Department will try to assist with such requests.
Procedures for Arrival into South Africa
- Approval from South African Embassy: Please contact the South African embassy in the country you are currently in and inform them of your intentions. Once you have been cleared to fly, you may proceed with your repatriation flight booking.
- Quarantine: You will be subjected to a mandatory 10 day Quarantine. You may apply for self quarantine under very strict conditions.
Please send your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Join the Whatsapp Group where there is information regarding repatriation flights – contact your GAP Talent team member today for further details.
Flights directly to the UK from South Africa are limited so it is advisable to take one of the following options and connect to the UK from there.
- 6 September – Johannesburg to London Heathrow
- 11 September – Johannesburg to London Heathrow
KLM / Air France
- 5 September – Johannesburg to Amsterdam (KLM)
- 6 September – Cape Town to Amsterdam (KLM)
- 10 September – Cape Town to Amsterdam (KLM)
- 12 September – Johannesburg to Amsterdam (KLM)
- 13 September – Cape Town to Amsterdam (KLM)
- 17 September – Cape Town to Amsterdam (KLM)
- 19 September – Johannesburg to Amsterdam (KLM)
- 20 September – Cape Town to Amsterdam (KLM)
- 24 September – Cape Town to Amsterdam (KLM)
- 26 September – Johannesburg to Amsterdam (KLM)
- 27 September – Cape Town to Amsterdam (KLM)
- 27 September – Johannesburg to Paris (Air France)
- 4 September – Johannesburg to Dubai
- 6 September – Johannesburg to Dubai
- 8 September – Johannesburg to Dubai
- Ethiopian Airlines are flying every Wednesday and Sunday from Johannesburg to Addis Ababa
- 8 September – Cape Town to Frankfurt
- 11 September – Johannesburg to Frankfurt
- 22 September – Cape Town to Frankfurt
- 25 September – Johannesburg to Frankfurt
- 5 September – Johannesburg to Zurich
- 19 September – Johannesburg to Zurich
- 6 September – Johannesburg to Doha
Requirements: South African Airways requires your expression of interest in order to operate flights. https://www.flysaa.com/za/en/repatriation.action
Flights to and from Istanbul offers passengers the convenience of connecting to/from multiple destinations on their existing network. Connecting flights will be arranged by the local Turkish Airlines office.
Cost per ticket: R15,000
|JHB to Istanbul||6 Sept, 20 Sept|
|CT to Istanbul||10 Sept, 24 Sept|
Cost per ticket: $800 per ticket
|Istanbul to JHB||6 Sept, 20 Sept|
|Istanbul to CT||10 Sept, 24 Sept|
To book a flight to JHB please send an e-mail to email@example.com
To book this flight to CPT please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
You may transit in Istanbul for up to 24 hours without a visa. For longer layovers you can obtain a Visa online and it’s free.
Please follow link to book online visa: https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/ NB! The Visa to enter Turkey is the responsibility of the passenger.
Turkish Airlines assembly point:
Green Point Stadium, Vlei Road, Cape Town at 13:00.
KLM is operating flights from both Cape Town and Johannesburg. The flights will go via Amsterdam and then you can connect from there to your final destination.
Direct contact email email@example.com
Meeting point in Jhb is the Dutch Embassy in Pretoria
Approx. cost: R16,500.00
|JHB to AMS KL0592 Time: 23:10||5 Sept, 12 Sept, 19 Sept, 26 Sept|
|CT to AMS KL0598 Time: 18:15||6 Sept, 10 Sept, 13 Sept, 17 Sept, 20 Sept, 24 Sept, 27 Sept|
www.klm.co.za or CALL 010 205 0100 / 010 205 0101
Various options available. Lowest connecting Amsterdam to London approx. R650* per person. *subject to exchange rate/times of flights
Approximate cost per ticket €970
|AMS to JHB KL591 Time: 21:20||4 Sept, 11 Sept, 18 Sept, 25 Sept|
|AMS to CPT KL597 Time: 09:20||4 Sept, 8 Sept, 11 Sept, 15 Sept, 18 Sept, 25 Sept,|
You need to fill in the form for each passenger in your reservation. It is mandatory to fill in this web form. In case you missed the link in your booking process, you can find it here: https://www.klm.com/travel/za_en/customer_support/repatriation_flights.htm
Please see below information regarding Amsterdam Airport, for those considering the KLM flight.
VISA requirements: You don't need a visa for Amsterdam if less than 24 hours and staying in the airport
Qatar Airways have received approval for the following flights:
|Inbound: DOH to JHB Time: 10:10 | 18:05||6 Sept|
|Outbound: JHB to DOH Time: 19:15 | 05:05||6 Sept|
For new bookings please visit: http://www.qatarairways.com/WeWillGetYouHome
For existing tickets please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information you may also contact: email@example.com
Qatar is 30kg plus 7kg hand luggage
Qatar Airways assembly point:
Embassy of Qatar, 1077 Justice Mahomad Street, Waterkloof, Pretoria. Meet at 14:00
Requirements: Dubai travel requirements: COVID-19 PCR test is mandatory
|Outbound: JNB to Dubai Time: 18;30||4 Sept, 6 Sept, 8 Sept, 11 Sept, 13 Sept, 15 Sept, 18 Sept, 20 Sept, 22 Sept, 25 Sept|
|Inbound: Frankfurt to JNB Time: 22:05||9 Sept, 23 Sept|
|Inbound: Frankfurt to CPT Time: 22:15||8 Sept, 20 Sept|
|Outbound: JNB to Frankfurt Time: 19:00||11 Sept, 25 Sept|
|Outbound: CPT to Frankfurt Time: 17:45||8 Sept, 22 Sept|
For new bookings, use the booking code: LGFLYBACk20
For existing tickets, please send an e-mail to: JNBREPATQUERIES@DLH.DE
Please see link regarding COVID tests for Lufthansa:
|MRU to JNB||6 Sept|
|JNB to MRU||6 Sept|
Inbound: Zoliswa Filtane @ SA embassy +230-5254-5206
Outbound: Contact MRU high commission Pretoria
Citizens free quarantine. Residents pay approx $1360 for quarantine.
|JNB to LHR||6 Sept, 11 Sept|
With the borders open in Dar es Salaam this will allow passengers to book on a Qatar or Emirates or a few other Airlines to fly to Dar Es Salaam where we can then repatriate them to South Africa. It also allows for passengers traveling from South Africa to book a flight to Dar es Salaam where they can then from there on catch a flight to almost anywhere.
Emigrating to United Kingdom & Ireland
Click here to join the Emigrating to UK/Ireland Facebook group: https://web.facebook.com/groups/SA.immigrating.to.the.UK/?_rdc=1&_rdr
Visa requirements to the UK/Ireland: https://bic-immigration.com/immigration-news/uk-visa-application-centre-reopening/